Utilities Department

While still under the direction of the City of Wabasha, the water/sewer department and lift station maintenance is under the operation of People Service.  People Service is contracted by the city, however any questions regarding your water/sewer services should be directed to the city.

The City of Wabasha Utilities Commission oversees the operation of the Municipal Water System and Municipal Sanitary Wastewater System. The water system has a pumping capacity of 1400 gallons per minute, with a storage capacity of 790,000 gallons. Wabasha’s sanitary system consists of one activated sludge wastewater treatment system located southwest of town with a collection system and three final lift stations to pump wastewater to the site. The treatment plant currently has a capacity of 604,000 gallons per day.

The city currently offers the option of having your water bill deducted directly from your checking account – please contact city hall at (651) 565-4568 for more information.

Utilities Contact: Pat Mueller, People Service

email: [email protected]
(651) 565-3818

Utility Billing Information and Rates

City of Wabasha water and sewer services are billed on a monthly basis and bills are due by the 15th of the month.

  • Sewer (Effective 04/1/15): $11.93 per 1000 gallons usage. Minimum usage per month is 2,000 gallons.
  • Water (Effective with March 2018 billing cycle) minimum 1000 gallons: 
    Residential – minimum 1000 gallons  (all rates per month):
    Base Rate:                                  $7.00
    1000-6,000 gal.                       $2.66 per 1,000 gal.
    7000 – 12,000 gal.                  $3.36 per 1,000 gal.
    13,000 – 24,000 gal.               $4.18 per 1,000 gal.
    25,000-40,000 gal.                 $5.25 per 1,000 gal.
    41,000 – and above                 $6.28 per 1,000 gal.
    Business/Industrial/Commercial – minimum 1000 gallons (all rates per month):
    Base Rate:                                 $7.00
    0-30,000 gal.                           $3.36 per 1,000 gal.
    31,000-60,000                         $4.18 per 1,000 gal.
    61,000 and above                    $5.25 per 1,000 gal.

Per Ordinance, residential sewer rates are set with the April bill (March billing cycle) and based on the average of your first three months water usage of the year and that rate is carried thru the April billing of the following year. When purchasing a new residence or moving into a new residential property during the year policy is that your sewer rate is set based on the first full month of usage until your rate can be set per ordinance.

Who do I contact to discontinue service or to establish new service?

To have your water service discontinued, or to have new service established contact the City Clerk’s office at (651) 565-4568.

Please be ready with the following information when calling:

* complete address where service is located
*mailing address if different from service address
* date service is to be turned on or off
* final billing address if discontinuing service
*phone number

Snowbirds – If service is shut off by the city for the winter months only – there will be a $50.00 reconnect fee and payment of the street light fee for each month you were gone when it is turned back on and someone must be present when water is turned back on.

Snowbirds may also choose to not have your water turned off during the winter months but you must come into City Hall and sign a waiver form. You will not be billed the monthly minimum, however you will have to pay a $50.00 fee and the street light fee for the months you were gone when water is back in use.

Also, if service is shut-off due to non-payment, there is a $50.00 reconnect fee. The reconnect fee and outstanding bill amount are payable before service can be reconnected.

Who do I contact if I have a water leak?

If you notice a water leak inside your house, you should contact your plumber to inspect it and repair it if needed.  As a property owner, you are responsible for repairs to any pipes between the main and your residence/business.

If the leak is outside near the curb or street, please contact the Utilities Department at (651) 565-3818 or call City Hall at (651) 565-4568.

If you feel your meter is not working properly and would like your meter tested, the city will do so.  However, if the meter is tested and found to be in good working condition, there is a $50.00 fee for this service.

Drinking Water Reports:

2016 CCR

2015 CCR

2014 CCR

2013 CCR